The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) has announced it will be holding a special 2017 Marine Law Symposium on January 10, in Charleston, South Carolina. The training event will cover the roles and expectations of an expert witness and provide attendees with tactics, tips and tools of the trade when preparing for trial.
ABYC says expert witnesses, manufacturers, surveyors, insurance personnel, underwriters, compliance professionals and others in the marine industry will learn from various speakers who specialize in marine law and product liability.
“If you are a boat builder in the United States, you can’t miss this event,” says Brunswick Corporation Director Product Integrity/Government Affairs, Dave Marlow. “From designing a reasonably safe product to handling the customer interface when things don’t go as planned, this continuing education opportunity is a valuable tool for your organization.”
Christina Paul, a partner at K&L Gates international law firm and one of the event speakers, will share inside knowledge and real world examples. “Having a well-credentialed and experienced expert is only part of the equation,” says Paul. “It is equally important that the expert can withstand the scrutiny of cross-examination and navigate the pitfalls of deposition.”
The keynote speaker for the event will be Under Armour Senior Counsel, Margaret Watkins. With a dominant and rapidly growing brand to protect, Watkins will provide a unique perspective on product safety and compliance.
Attendees are able to choose an afternoon breakout session depending on their interests.
- Product liability and you – Dave Marlow, Brunswick Corporation
- Designing a reasonably safe product – Marcia Kull , Volvo Penta
- When the customer sues – Christina Paul, K&L Gates
Expert Witness Track:
- Representing yourself – William Daley, CED Technologies
- How clients prepare and use experts – Dr. Wendy Sanders, Design Research
- The role of an expert witness – Caroline Plater, Reed Smith LLP
Choosing an Expert Witness Track:
- Match the expert to the claim – Gavin O’Hare, CED Technologies
- After the investigation – Ricard Basom, S-E-A Limited
- How I will discredit your expert – David Rammelt, Reed Smith LLP
ABYC says limited space is available. To learn more and register visit: www.abycinc.org/onthestand. Registered attendees are invited to ABYC’s annual meeting and cocktail reception on January 9, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.