Honda Marine has introduced its new mid-range BF100 horsepower four-stroke engine. The launch took place this week at the International BoatBuilders Exhibition and Conference (IBEX), which took place at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville.
The 1496cc (91.4ci) engine weighs in at 366 pounds and has a full-throttle RPM range of 5,500-6,300.
"The new Honda BF100 marine engine is an important – and now, the most powerful – addition to our mid-range marine engines lineup, demonstrating our commitment to unparalleled performance, power and fuel efficiency,' said Mark DiPietro, Senior Manager, Honda Marine. "Our newest outboard model provides boaters more power from initial blast to top-end speed, with lighter weight and greater fuel efficiency than has ever been achieved in a mid-sized profile – all adding up to reliable performance for maximum time on the water.'
The BF100 incorporates advanced design elements, including:
• Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), which utilizes mild cam lobes to operate intake valves at low rpm, then engages a high-output lobe for higher-rpm operation.
• The Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST) system, which improves hole shot and acceleration by advancing ignition spark timing to within one degree of the knock limit during ‘hammer down' acceleration. The resulting boost in available torque at low rpm contributes to a better hole shot to get the boat up on plane quickly. The ignition spark timing is adjusted under slower throttle advancement, providing a leaner air/fuel mix and improved fuel efficiency.
• Lean Burn Control, a feature that automatically adjusts the air/fuel mix according to speed and load while maximizing power throughout the acceleration range.
• Programmed Electronic Fuel Injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each engine cylinder. This is designed to deliver instant throttle response and superior fuel efficiency.
• Improved battery charging through Honda's neodymium magnet flywheel. The BF100 produces 44 total amps and 35 charging amps; measurements are taken at normal operating temperatures.
• High performance gear case that is said to reduce drag as well as minimize hull porpoise and spray.
In addition, the Honda BF100 engine is NMEA 2000 certified (parameters of this certification are defined and controlled by the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA)). This accreditation means that the product has been tested to meet specific safety criteria and to implement network management and messaging. NMEA developed this open architecture electronic protocol to allow engine data to be interfaced with a wide variety of name brand marine electronics. In meeting this certification, the BF100 does not require the added expense of proprietary gateway devices.
The all-new Honda BF100 outboard engine will be available at Honda Marine dealers nationwide beginning on January 4, 2016.
The new outboard is protected by a five-year, non-declining limited factory warranty.
For an up close look at the new outboard, watch the video here.
Honda Marine offers four-stroke outboard models ranging from 2.3 to 250 horsepower.