National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and Boating Writers International (BWI) honoured 12 different marine companies with innovation at this year's Miami International Boat Show. The annual awards ceremony was held at the NMMA's annual industry breakfast, just prior to the show's opening on Thursday, February 13 at the Miami Beach Convention Center and Sea Isle Marina.
Hundreds of marine industry members packed every available seat at the breakfast, which featured a speech from NMMA President Thom Dammrich on the state of the industry and an official welcome by NMMA Boat Shows Vice President, Cathy Rick-Joule. "When we work together, there's no limit to what we can achieve,' mentioned Dammrich in his address.
This year's NMMA Innovation Award winners by category include:
• Boat Care and Maintenance: Petit Paint's EZ Poxy 2-Part
• Docking and Fendering Equipment: ShoreStation Boat Hoist
• Furnishings and Interior Parts: Dynamic Cabin System
• Mechanical and Electrical Systems (two winners): EZ Mount Battery Switch by Marinco and Snap Fuel Filter/Water Separator by Parker|Racor
• Personal Gear: Zayak Sea Sled
• Pontoon and Deck Boats: Island Boats Expanding Pontoon
• Power Boats (25 feet to 60 feet including fishing craft): SeaVee 390 Series
• Propulsion: MasterCraft Gen 2 Surf System
• PWCs and Jet Boats: BRP's Sea-Doo Spark
• Runabouts and Fishing Boats: MasterCraft's 2014 ProStar
• Sailboats: Beneteau Oceanis
• Consumer Electronics: Simrad's NSO Evo 2
In addition to the innovation awards, the annual Charles F. Chapman Memorial Award was presented to Captain Joseph "Joe' Frohnhoefer, Founder and CEO of Sea Tow. Scott M. Lewit, President of Structural Composites and COMPSYS as well as an instructor with the American Boat and Yacht Council, received the Alan J. Freedman Memorial Leadership Award.