The National Marine Manufacturers Association and Boating Writers International announced the winners of the 2016 Miami International Boat Show Innovation Awards, presented during the annual Industry Breakfast, held at the Rusty Pelican restaurant on show grounds.
This year's program evaluated 77 products across 31 categories featuring an extensive pool of entries. The judges ultimately selected 17 winners in 16 categories and three honourable mentions for a total of 20 honourees.
The 2016 Miami International Boat Show Innovation Award winners are:
• Boat Care and Maintenance: Glen Raven Custom Fabrics, Contour
• Center Console/ Walkaround Fishing Boats: Scout Boats, Inc., ForwardFIVE Performing Seating Station
• Consumer Electronics, Mobile Applications and Software – Dual Winners: Simrad-Navico, StructureScan 3D; FLIR Systems, Inc., AX8 Thermal Monitoring Camera
• Consumer Safety Equipment: Weems and Plath, SOS Distress Light
Honorable Mention: Spinlock USA, LumeOn Lifejacket Illumination
• Cuddy Cabin and Bowrider Boats: Bayliner Marine Corporation, VR5 Runabout
• Deck Equipment: Premier Marine, Inc., Ricochet Ladder
Honorable Mention: Anchor & Docking, Inc., Anchor Turner Kit
• Docking and Fendering Equipment: Bellingham Marine Ind., Inc., Portable Floating Timber Dock System
• Electric Motor/ Battery Powered Propulsion: Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc., Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra electric trolling motor
• Fishing Equipment, Gear and Tackle: Taco Metals, Inc., Carbon Fiber Outrigger Poles
• Furnishings and Interior Parts: Westhead Group, Flexima Nautic
• Jet Boats: BRP U.S. Inc., Intelligent Shift and Throttle
• Mechanical and Electrical Systems: Indmar Products Co., Inc., Strainer Pro
• Outboard Engines: Seven Marine, LLC, 627 SpectraBlade
• Personal Gear, Soft Goods: Grundens USA, Breakwater Pants
Honorable Mention: Gill North America, Ltd., FG2 Tournament Jacket
• Personal Watercrafts: Yamaha WaterCraft Group Company, TR-1 Marine High Output Engine
• Pontoon Boats: Premier Marine, Inc., Dodici
The Innovation Awards judging committee is comprised of BWI members who perform product testing throughout the year and have specific expertise in marine products and equipment. The committee is co-chaired by Zuzana Prochazka, a boating and travel journalist, and photographer and Alan Wendt, President of Boating Writers International.