Jeff Barnes, Director of Marketing for Ontario-based Pride Marine Group, has been nominated for the Industry Influence Award at the upcoming 2nd Annual Ontario Wake Awards being held at Red Bull 381 Projects in Toronto, ON, on May 11.
"When Sean Fleming of Water Ski and Wakeboard Canada leaked to me last week that I was nominated for the Industry Influence Award at the Ontario Wake Awards, it took me off guard,' says Barnes. "When you are involved in something you love doing, you don't really think about the influence you are having to help mold a sport – you are just doing what comes passionately to you.'
The event annually recognizes the top wakeboarders and wakeskaters in Ontario. Barnes has been nominated along with six other people and businesses. Last year at the inaugural event, SBC Media was recognized with the Industry Influence Award.
According to event organizers, Barnes received the nomination this year for several reasons including:
• He's a long-time volunteer for the Ontario Water-ski association, having hosted many judging and teaching clinics, and serving as a guest judge at several National and World finals tournaments.
• Barnes spearheaded grass roots events from 1997 to 2004.
• He was one of the three original founders of the X-cup event series that created great momentum on the Ontario wakeboard scene. This event series started riders off like Kyle Ratray, Robbie McMillan, Erika Langman and many others.
• He has been the owner and operator of a local ski school for many years, helping new riders and encouraging them to try out the local contest.
• At a recent sport Canada AGM, Barnes proposed a new wakeboard-only association. He caught the attention of Water-Ski Canada and they decided to better recognize wakeboarding as a separate entity of the towed water sports community.
Tickets for the event are $30 in advance and $35 at the door. To attend or for more information contact email@example.com.