JW Speaker Corporation Marks 80 Years


Founded in July of 1935 by John W. Speaker, J.W. Speaker Corporation began as a manufacturer of automotive repair parts; including, radiator fronts, car mirrors, repair kits and automotive lighting. Today, the company offers numerous products, including marine lights.

"As we celebrate 80 years, it's exciting to think about how far the business has come,' says Tim Speaker, J.W. Speaker's Co-President and Co-Owner. "J.W. Speaker has progressed from a small parts automotive manufacturer into a global manufacturer of cutting edge lighting technology.'

"We are committed to continually evolving to meet the needs of our customers, just as we've done for the past 80 years,' adds Jamie Speaker, J.W. Speaker's other Co-President and Co-Owner.

In the early 1940's, J.W. Speaker developed the Heatab miniature portable stove and the P38 GI can opener. Both were widely used during World War II and for several decades after by the US military.

In 1960, under the leadership of John's son Jack, J.W. Speaker Corporation shifted its focus to original equipment manufacturer (OEM) vehicular lighting, expanding the product offering to include vehicular lighting for lawn and garden, and golf and turf tractors.

Since then, J.W. Speaker has evolved to specialize in lighting products for OEMs and aftermarket customers around the world.

Today, J.W. Speaker Corporation is still a family-run business and is led by John's grandsons, Tim and Jamie Speaker. The company now serves a variety of industries including the agriculture, construction, on-road commercial, material handling, mining, motorcycle, recreation and aviation markets.