The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is seeking to hire a PR manager for its internal communications department. The PR manager will be the day-to-day PR contact for all NMMA Canada staff, supporting them in communicating critical issues and information to the boating public, legislators, NMMA members and the entire recreational boating industry.
The PR Manager will be responsible for all internal, external and industry public relations and communications. This includes media outreach to increase awareness for both NMMA and the industry’s national Discover Boating campaign in both the consumer and trade press; liaising with the internal team to manage communications needs as they arise; and working alongside the NMMA PR Team in Chicago on larger communications programs related to promoting the boating lifestyle to create synergies between the US and Canada where needed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage day-to-day communications activities and serve as primary public relations contact for NMMA Canada.
• Conduct media outreach to local, regional, national and trade outlets to arrange media interviews and secure media coverage.
• Secure speaking engagements for NMMA Canada executives and board members.
• Draft e-newsletters for industry and consumer audiences.
• Create and execute national public relations and industry relations strategies for the industry’s national Discover Boating campaign.
• Create and execute public relations and industry relations strategies to drive awareness for NMMA throughout Canada.
• Draft and distribute press materials such as press releases, message documents, talking points, policy briefs, op-eds and letters to the editor.
• Assist in event planning as needed.
• Have the ability to grasp complex issues and ideas and translate them into straightforward messaging for consumption by a variety of audiences
• Be able to create and oversee the execution of PR strategies in both national and local media environments
• Be able to draft and implement PR programs designed to meet and exceed company goals
• Have exceptional writing and editing skills
• Have a solid understanding of PR measurement and reporting
• Be able to work well individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
• Have strong interest in the outdoors and recreation industry
• Be creative, organized, and deadline-oriented
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications preferred
• Three to 5 years of experience in PR with minimum of two years at a PR agency
• Experience working on policy issues or in a public affairs capacity
• General understanding of government structure in Canada
• Seeking a dynamic team player interested in working hard while having fun in an exciting industry
• Ability to speak and write French is beneficial but not required
• Overtime may be required
• Office environment
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
In this position, you will report to the Communications Director in NMMA’s Chicago office with a dotted line reporting day-to-day to the Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs in NMMA’s Bolton, Ontario offices.
Competitive salary is commiserate with experience. Supplemental Health Benefits and RRSP match are all benefits for the position.
Please submit your resume with salary history to Kate Plush at email@example.com. If you have any questions please feel free to call Kate at 312-946-6203.