Parks Canada is notifying people travelling around the Peterborough area in the coming weeks that it will be conducting spring maintenance at some of its swing bridges and sites along the Trent-Severn Waterway.
The preventative maintenance includes tasks such as washing and greasing swing bridges and conducting visual inspections to ensure they're ready for safe operation during the 2016 boating season.
Temporary Bridge Closures
As a result of the work, Parks Canada advises residents and visitors of the following temporary bridge closures for regular spring maintenance, weather permitting:
• May 3 Warsaw Road Swing Bridge (Peterborough) 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM
• May 4 Maria Street Swing Bridge (Peterborough) 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM
• May 5 McFarlane Street Bridge (Peterborough) 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM
Seasonal maintenance on certain bridges that cross the Trent-Severn Waterway will not result in closures, but vehicles may experience short delays of about 10 minutes:
April 18 to mid-May
• Brighton Road Swing Bridge
• Carrying Place Swing Bridge
• Glen Ross Swing Bridge
• Ranney Falls Swing Bridge (Campbellford)
• Hastings Swing Bridge
• Bobcaygeon Swing Bridge
• Bolsover Swing Bridge
• Boundary Road Swing Bridge
• Lakeshore Road Swing Bridge
• Couchiching Bridge
• Hamlet Swing Bridge (on Canning Road near Washago)
• Port Severn Swing Bridge
Parks Canada requests that motorists plan their routes accordingly in order to avoid delays.
To accommodate school bus traffic, efforts will be made to keep bridge delays between 9:00 am and 2:30 pm. Parks Canada thanks the public for its patience during the maintenance period.