For the first time in its 25-year history, two overall winners were announced at the 25th annual Design Award METS (DAME), presented this morning at the Marine Equipment Trade Show (METS) in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Overall winners Spinlock Lume-On and Humphree Electric Stabilizer Fin and Interceptor System were selected from 108 entries from 92 companies, representing 24 nationalities.
Spinlock's Lume-On is a tiny LED light that attached underneath the bladder of any lifejacket, using the outer shell as a diffuser and turning the entire device into a glowing light.
Humphree's Electric Stabilizer Fin and Interceptor System rotates 360 degrees to combat anchor walking, while its failsafe fin attachment design preserves integrity in case of hull strike.
Seven category winners were also announced:
• Marine Electronics And Marine Related Software
Simrad HALO Pulse Compression Radar
• Interior Equipment, Furnishings, Materials And Electrical Fittings Used In Cabins
• Marina Equipment, Boatyard Equipment And Boat Construction Tools And Materials
Tru-Design Load-Bearing Collar
• Deck Equipment, Sails And Rigging
Nauti-Boy Marine Multi-functional Inflatable Platforms
• Clothing And Crew Accessories
Henri Lloyd Flex 3D Jacket
• Lifesaving And Safety Equipment
• Machinery, Propulsion, Mechanical And Electrical Systems And Fittings
Humphree Electric Stabilizing Fin and Interceptor System
The DAME winners were announced during the Breakfast Briefing on the opening day of the 2015 METSTRADE show, which runs through Thursday at the Amsterdam RAI Convention Centre.
Entrée fees from the competition were once again donated in support of deserving charities. Proceeds from the 2015 DAME totaling 16,200 Euros were presented to the Sailability The Netherlands Foundation, in support of its ongoing efforts to make boating available to disabled individuals.