West Marine, Watsonville, California, is now accepting applications for its fourth annual Green Product of the Year Award contest. The winning entry will receive a US $10,000 award at the 2013 Miami International Boat Show in February.
West Marine accepts entries from Canada (excluding Quebec), the US, and Puerto Rico. The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products.
The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
1) Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
2) Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
3) Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
4) Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
5) Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2011, 2012 or will it be introduced in 2013?
6) Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Through the award, West Marine hopes to encourage green product development throughout the marine industry. "As a leading marine retailer, we want to use our position to support and promote sustainable innovation in the marine industry,' said Matt Hyde, West Marine's CEO.
This year's panel of judges includes:
• Margaret Podlich, President, BoatUS
• Stan Honey, Director of Technology, America's Cup Event Authority
• Dr. Randy Kochevar, PhD, Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station
• Bill Lee, Owner, Wizard Yacht Sales
• Jim Leishman, Owner and VP of Nordhavn Yachts
• Rich Kolb, Engineering Manager, Volvo Penta of the Americas
• Dr. Ann Blake, PhD, Environmental and Public Health Consulting
• Randy Repass, Chairman and Founder, West Marine
• Chuck Hawley, VP of Sustainability and Product Information, West Marine
• Ron Japinga, EVP Merchandising and Logistics, West Marine
Entries will be accepted until November 23.
To enter the contest or view the complete rules and entry requirements, click here