Watsonville, CA-based marine retailer, West Marine, is accepting nominations for its third annual Green Product of the Year Award contest. This year the company has expanded the contest to include entries from Canada (excluding Quebec), the US District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2012 Miami International Boat Show.
“West Marine strives to be a leader in sustainability. We hope to inspire the marine industry to create environmentally friendly products to preserve and protect the oceans and waterways that we all enjoy,” said Geoff Eisenberg, CEO, West Marine.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products.
The contest’s judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
1) Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
2) Economical: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
3) Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
4) Degree of Innovation: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2010, 2011 or will it be introduced in 2012? Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
5) Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green until December 1.